Thursday, January 23, 2014

Ivan Jenson- Three Poems

Stranger into Friend

I am apologizing  
ahead of time for hurting you
and I am thanking you
before you offer your kind 
and selfless acts
and I am suggesting
we change the subject
even though
we have not argued yet
and I am 
getting ahead of myself
by stopping you in your tracks
to see if you recognize 
the fact 
we have never met
but really should 
in the very near future
like how about
now
 



Alpha Female

I know you are made 
of sin and bones
and I know at night
your dreams set
wild dogs free
to chew the scenery
in the theater of your mind
and I have been warned
by the weatherman of your past
that your sunshine is followed
by tempestuous storms 
that blow down the fences
of defenses
and flood the senses
until one feels as foolish
as Mickey
the Sorcerer’s Apprentice 
who needs to learn
that you are the
dominatrix 
mistress
of the magic
of our love
 



Nostalgic Junkie

If I were to 
get rid of everything
that reminded me of you
I wouldn’t have any possessions left
to possess me
if I were to banish your bustier 
to the Bulgaria of forgotten undergarments
or send your scent to Siberia
it would still linger here on the sweater
you left in my suburbia 
and if I did not keep replaying the old cassette tapes
of songs filled with the audio hiss of missing you
then all I would have in this world 
would be new names, fresh faces 
and the taste of a tomorrow
flavored lip gloss on the lips of the future
and so I will continue to hoard and hold onto 
what once was “our” clutter
because everything old is 
you again




Ivan Jenson’s Absolut Jenson painting was featured in Art News, Art in America, and Interview magazine. His art has sold at Christie’s, New York. His poems have appeared in Word Riot, Zygote in my Coffee, Camroc Press Review, Haggard and Halo, Poetry Super Highway, Mad Swirl, Underground Voices Magazine, Blazevox, and many other magazines, online and in print. Jenson is also a Contributing Editor for Commonline magazine. Ivan Jenson's debut novel Dead Artist is available as a paperback and on Amazon Kindle and Nook. His new novel, a psychological thriller entitled Seeing Soriah is now available as an eBook or in Paperback on Amazon. Ivan Jenson's debut book of poems, "Media Child and Other Poems" will soon be published by Hen House Press, New York

1 comment:

  1. Fresh, interesting, thoughtful. Well done.

    --Gene McCormick

    ReplyDelete